Thursday, January 20, 2005

In No Particular Order

Now that I look at this list of movies which I am fond of, I feel like many of my choices are not in sync with my current consciousness cycle. That being said, I am only fond of them. I'd be hard-pressed to defend The Last Boy Scout or Edward Scissorhands as top 100 of all-time material. These are just movies that at one time or another made an impression on me or when I thought back on them, I found myself musing things like, "Yeah. Cool." If nothing more, I recommend these films for blossoming netflix users like myself.

Movies I am fond of:

1) GRAND ILLUSION – Jean Renoir
2) AMATEUR – Hal Hartley
3) AFTER HOURS – Martin Scorsese
4) THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE – John Ford
5) RIO BRAVO – Howard Hawks
6) CONTEMPT – Jean Luc Goddard
7) CLAIRE’S KNEE – Eric Rohmer
8) AN AUTUMN’S TALE – Eric Rohmer
9) KING OF THE HILL – Steven Soderbergh
10) REAR WINDOW – Alfred Hitchcock
11) LES COUSINS – Claude Chabrol
12) VAGABOND – Agnes Varda
13) HIGH AND LOW – Akira Kurosawa
14) BREAKING THE WAVES – Lars Von Trier
15) PRINCESS MONONOKE – Hayao Miyazaki
16) CHUNGKING EXPRESS – Wong Kar Wai
17) EDWARD SCISSORHANDS – Tim Burton
18) FAUST – F. W. Murnau
19) YOU CAN COUNT ON ME – Kenneth Lonnergan
20) MILLER’S CROSSING – Joel Coen
21) GROUNDHOG DAY – Harold Ramis
22) KISS ME DEADLY – Robert Aldritch
23) TOUCH OF EVIL – Orson Welles
24) DO THE RIGHT THING – Spike Lee
25) TWELVE MONKEYS – Terry Gilliam
26) ALIENS – James Cameron
27) BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET – John Sayles
28) THE STRAIGHT STORY – David Lynch
29) UNBREAKABLE – M. Night Shyamalan
30) JOHNNY GUITAR – Nicholas Ray
31) THE LONG GOODBYE – Robert Altman
32) HIS GIRL FRIDAY – Howard Hawks
33) STARMAN – John Carpenter
34) A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH – Powell and Pressburger
35) A PERFECT WORLD – Clint Eastwood
36) FLIRTING WITH DISASTER – David O. Russell
37) DR. STRANGELOVE – Stanley Kubrick
38) FAST, CHEAP AND OUT OF CONTROL – Errol Morris
39) KARAOKE/COLD LAZARUS – Dennis Potter
40) VERTIGO – Alfred Hitchcock
41) L.A. STORY – Mick Jackson/Steve Martin
42) NOTORIOUS – Alfred Hitchcock
43) VOYAGE TO ITALY – Roberto Rosselini
44) MYSTERY TRAIN – Jim Jarmusch
45) TROUBLE IN PARADISE – Ernst Lubitsch
46) THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER –Ernst Lubitsch
47) SHERLOCK JR –Buster Keaton
48) TIME INDEFINITE –Ross McElwee
49) THE BALLAD OF RAMBLING JACK – Aiyana Elliot
50) MASH – Robert Altman
51) NOBODY’S FOOL – Robert Benton
52) FLESH AND BONE – Steve Kloves
53) FRESH – Boaz Yakim
54) THE 39 STEPS – Alfred Hitchcock
55) DONOVAN’S REEF – John Ford
56) THE GRADUATE –Mike Nichols
57) A RIVER RUNS THRU IT –Robert Redford
58) NEAR DARK – Kathryn Bigelow
59) REPO MAN – Alex Cox
60) ALL ABOUT EVE – Joseph L. Mankiewicz
61) SLAPSHOT – George Roy Hill
62) TOKYO-GA – Wim Wenders
63) LITTLE DEETER NEEDS TO FLY –Werner Herzog
64) NO END – Krzysztof Kieslowski
65) WHITE – Krzysztof Kieslowski
66) POPEYE – Robert Altman
67) MAGNOLIA – P.T. Anderson
68) HOOP DREAMS – Steve James
69) DARK STAR – John Carpenter
70) THE ABYSS – James Cameron
71) GREMLINS 2 – Joe Dante
72) WINTER SLEEPERS – Tom Tykwer
73) THE GOLD RUSH – Charlie Chaplin
74) THE 400 BLOWS – Francois Truffaut
75) MY LIFE TO LIVE – Jean Luc Goddard
76) ANGEL – Ernst Lubitsch
77) FULL METAL JACKET – Stanley Kubrick
78) SOMETHING WILD – Jonathan Demme
79) NIGHT OF THE HUNTER – Robert Laughton
80) PULP FICTION – Quentin Tarantino
81) EMPIRE OF THE SUN – Steven Spielberg
82) MAD DOG AND GLORY – John McNaughton
83) UNFORGIVEN – Clint Eastwood
84) THE LAST BOY SCOUT - Tony Scott
85) HOLIDAY – George Cukor
86) ORDET – Carl Dreyer
87) BEFORE SUNRISE – Richard Linklater
88) UNDERGROUND – Emir Kusturica
89) OLDBOY – Chan-Wook Park

Movies I am terribly angry at:

1) WHAT DREAMS MAY COME
2) STEEL
3) HOOK
4) FULL FRONTAL
5) I, ROBOT
6) HELLBOY
7) REVENGE OF THE SITH (I saw an early screening)


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Casimir!
Add these to your list -
1.) Raise the Red Lantern -Yimou Zhang
2.) Diva -Jean-Jacques Beineix
3.) Camille Claudel - Bruno Nuytten
4.) Picnic at Hanging Rock - Peter Weir
5.) The Unbelievable Truth - Hal Hartley
6.) Henry Fool - Hal Hartley
7.) Kiru (aka Kill) - Kihachi Okamoto
8.) Cyclo - Anh Hung Tran
9.) Rashomon - Kurosawa
10.) le Grand Bleu (aka The Big Blue) - Luc Besson

Have you seen them? love them - hate them? Number 10 - I have such a fond memory of it - don't know why exactly but I'm sure if I saw it again - lot of that 80's music would make me laugh. - Enjoy. *** Kayla

6:52 PM  
Blogger Casimir said...

In order,

1) I've seen and love Raise the Red Lantern. Should be on the list... Though I'm probably more a fan of Shanghai Triad and Ju Dou. Hero is really the one he's made that I just flat out don't like - pretty but empty.

2) Haven't seen or heard of
3) I saw that in my French V class and I remember thinking, wow, breasts in my French V class. It was a glorious day.
4) Haven't seen but would like to
5) Love
6) Love with a few very minor reservations
- I just think Amateur is Hartley's best with Trust a very close second.
7) Haven't seen or heard of
8) Haven't seen or heard of
9) Seen it about 50 times not only in various classes (film and philosophy no less) but also the odd revival. It's great. But not a film I feel a tremendous amount of passion for. High and Low and to a lesser extent, Throne of Blood are more memorable. I'm not saying they're better but the very unorthodox structure of the former and the conclusion of the latter are stick further out of my brain than anything in the high-concept Rashomon. Now that I mention it though, I do love the to-camera shots of Mifune bound and relating his version of the story.
10) Haven't seen. Luc Besson is tricky. I saw The 5th Element in theaters and was wildly unimpressed by the jokey sci-fi. Caught it again on TV and much like Austin Powers, kind of saw it in the right, no-expectations kind of light. He might be the clumsiest storyteller working in stylish moviemaking today - see the scene where Milla Jovavich learns about war on the way back to save the Earth for example. But his movies are distinct and that's something.

12:49 PM  
Blogger S said...

Speaking of #4 - we based part of Big Art Group's Empty Island (Soho Rep, May 2002) on scenes from that melodramatic party.

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home