Sunday, November 20, 2005

A Mission of Little Significance!

A critical aspect of my weekend is brunch. I like eggs. I like coffee. I like having eggs and coffee in the early afternoon and therefore I like brunch. What I do not like are the "gourmet" potatoes that many a brunch place are attempting to pass off as home fries in this young millennium.

Now I'm not trying to knock potatoes. They've been good to me and to many people looking for that most flexible and amenable side-dish. But the time has come for a line to be drawn in the sand between home fries and just plain, cooked potatoes. I call these "home fries/gourmet potatoes" the work of the lazy chef. Instead of victimizing, battering, transforming these potatoes into something beautiful, they've clearly buckled and in an attempt to honor their original shape and texture have ensured my plate is only 2/3 clean.

By chance lately, I've found myself sampling a true spectrum of Brooklyn brunches. I'd kind of done my neighborhood's brunches to death so I merrily took the brunch show on the road. But too many places that I've been to over the past week have served a leisurely chopped up, barely crispy, heavily seasoned boring ole potato and tried to get me to call it home fries. Does anyone else feel this way? Are you satisfied with these lazy potato sides? I for one miss having true home fries - heavily cooked, practically mashed and extra crispy home fries. I'm not talking about the almost as satisfying hash browns that are out there but in fact, the true home fries that lately it seems can only be found in your basic diner.

I'm looking for more of a mash - crisped and textured and thrilled to be run through the ketchup. If you know of such a place, please advise. I shall be stockpiling addresses for future brunches.

I am on a mission - slight though it be.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric Ruhalter said...

I concur with you on your expressed dissatisfaction with the general state of the breakfast potato. However, and this may help you, I concluded some time ago that all of these various “Hash brown” recipes are all just veiled attempts at giving us what we all really want but decorum forbids – French Fries for breakfast. I wish you luck on your quest.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Casimir said...

Eggs with french fries were my first solution. But once you make that leap, there's no ceiling to your combinations. Hence my current infatuation with eggs sunnyside up - side order of heroin.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Seth said...

The hash brown thing is a sticky wicket. Ask for them extra crispy, and in eight out of ten cases you're either given a dirty look (you know who you are Garden Grill lady) or the request is seemingly ignored all together.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home