Friday, March 28, 2008

Memory Lane

The year: 1997
The place: Poughkeepsie, NY.
The movie: Bar-B-Q



In the original script, it somehow seemed essential that all the action took place on the day John Candy died.

The announcement was supposed to come over the radio at this all-day barbecue, freezing the various subplots while the characters dealt with their conflicting reactions to this oddly sad news.

Thankfully, my film professor - Ken "Stop the Bullshit" Robinson - convinced us it wasn't a strong narrative move.

4 Comments:

Blogger Seth said...

I am a fan of this one. I think the John Candy idea would have worked too, though.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's some good stuff. Though I don't get why they had to throw Jean Claude on the hood of the car before taking him to the hospital.

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crying while bleeding!

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, that's me.

I think the John Candy moment would have been great. Like the frogs in "Magnolia," minus the pretension.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home